JUST ONE LOOK
the purpose of our work is to rid humanity of the fear of life, one person at a time
Just One Look Method Testimonials Getting Help Blog & Podcast Articles Forum Donate Newsletter Books Videos International
Download the free PDF ebook: The Just One Look Method  (314 Kb)
Die Nur-ein-Blick-Methode (439 Kb)
Il Metodo Just One Look (333 Kb)
МЕТОД «ТОЛЬКО ОДИН ВЗГЛЯД» (699 Kb)

Just One Look Forum Archives

Using the Just One Look Method

<<< Back to forum index page

State dependent memory and looking

Hi everyone

I have been thinking recently about the looking and the time I first spent trying to accomplish it. When I brought to mind an experience/memory from my childhood and tried to get a feeling for what it felt like to be me, it was easier when I remembered what it was I would having been seeing through my eyes at that time ( as opposed to seeing myself in the memory from above or outside of myself). I also recall it having been easier if the posture I was in, when trying to recall the feeling, ( walking, sitting, lying down) mirrored the posture I was in within the memory. I am not sure if this has to do with state dependent memory but it seemed to make it a little easier to accomplish.

Paul

Paul Freedman

Hi everyone

I have been thinking recently about the looking and the time I first spent trying to accomplish it. When I brought to mind an experience/memory from my childhood and tried to get a feeling for what it felt like to be me, it was easier when I remembered what it was I would having been seeing through my eyes at that time ( as opposed to seeing myself in the memory from above or outside of myself). I also recall it having been easier if the posture I was in, when trying to recall the feeling, ( walking, sitting, lying down) mirrored the posture I was in within the memory. I am not sure if this has to do with state dependent memory but it seemed to make it a little easier to accomplish.

Paul

Paul, this is a very useful insight. Reading it I realized that when I looked to a childhood memory and got a taste of the the feeling of me then, my experience was entirely subjective--the heat of the sun on my skin, the strangeness of the shift from the movie to the bright, hot summer day, the look of things, and all else. This insight will change the way I present the act to new people.

Thank you,

John

This website is operated by
a husband and wife team through
the Just One Look Foundation