JUST ONE LOOK
the purpose of our work is to rid humanity of the fear of life, one person at a time
Just One Look Method Testimonials Getting Help Blog & Podcast Articles Forum Donate Newsletter Books Videos International
Download the free PDF ebook: The Just One Look Method  (314 Kb)
Die Nur-ein-Blick-Methode (439 Kb)
Il Metodo Just One Look (333 Kb)
МЕТОД «ТОЛЬКО ОДИН ВЗГЛЯД» (699 Kb)

Just One Look Forum Archives

Using the Just One Look Method

<<< Back to forum index page

We are not spiritual teachers

We have been very much aware of a lack of clarity on our part as to the relationship between our work and the spiritual teachings. As with every other aspect of our understanding of what we are doing, we have assumed that continued conversation with those who are interested in this work would eventually clarify matters for all of us.

What follows is a recent email from a woman who has been interested in our work for some time. She expresses her concern over what has seemed to her to be missing from our understanding of the role of spiritual aspiration and its relationship to what we are doing.

This is one of several communications we have received recently on these matters, and it triggered in us a new clarity of understanding, which I have tried to relate in my answer to her.

I hope this is useful to you, and I would be grateful for anything you see about it. So please, register if you are not already registered, and join the conversation on this important matter.

Hi John,

I've been following you for the last few years and listen to your Wednesday broadcasts whenever I can. I've talked with you a few times. One question that keeps popping up for me is that you seem to say that your understanding of the human condition is very different/new/radical than any other that has ever been expressed. I honor your voice and your devotion to the truth of what we humans are all conditioned by i.e., fearfulness. My problem, as far as being completely on board with you about being the only one out there who understands our plight, is that I know of many other voices/people who are just as devoted to the unmasking of our neurotic condition and are basically on the same page with you. Am I understanding you correctly when you say that no one else has ever been able to express this in the same way that you do? That you've uncovered something that is completely new and radically different than let's say, Mooji, Gangaji, Tony Parsons, Eckhart Tolle, Jeff Foster, Nathan Gill, Adyashanti, etc., etc. I have lots of admiration for you and all of these other courageous contributors who are digging deeply into the conditioning we've all been exposed to and who are questioning the status quo and breaking free of this very limited understanding of reality. Bravo to all of you!!! Do you discount them? I think it would be fantastic if all of you were supporting each other and combining your voices. Thankfully there seem to be many forums springing up where we can listen to many of you at once and that only makes your messages more powerful. We are all one and many of us have been capable of expressing this absolute truth. There's a growing group of people who have become stable enough in their new awakening/understanding to be able to lead us all forward. You're certainly one of them but you're not alone in my opinion. Perhaps I've misunderstood you.

And here is my response to her:

First off, I am not a spiritual teacher. I am a human being who has discovered, by a stroke of sheer luck, a simple act of focusing attention that reliably clears away most of the neurotic misery that attends most human life.

I do believe that many are drawn to advanced spiritual teachings because of a misguided belief that the main purpose of those teachings is to relieve neurotic suffering and bring satisfaction to human life. In my view, the advanced spiritual work is useful to very few of us and it could benefit greatly from a more focused understanding of its purpose and audience.

A simple analogy might clarify what I mean.

You could think of our work here as high school, and see the spiritual teachings as higher education. Once the diseased context of fear is snuffed out and the recovery is complete, most people will find satisfaction and fulfillment in ordinary human life, and will have no interest in such ethereal matters such as the spiritual teachings concern. This is exactly what happened to me.

Spiritual aspiration and spiritual teachings would then be analogous to institutions of higher learning, where there is also a gradation in the depth of interest required and the detail of understanding that begins with undergraduate work and progresses through various levels of graduate and postgraduate work.

In this analogy, as in my sense of our place in things, a minority of graduates from our high school will have interest in moving onto the college of spiritual aspiration, and this winnowing will continue through the various stages of depth, commitment and complexity of the work. In the end, only a small minority will have sufficient interest to attain the most advanced stages, but those who do will naturally perform great service to all in the application of their achievement.

So, no, I do not discount the authentic spiritual teachers that have arisen in our time, but I do believe that we all would be better served by a more realistic approach, and by embracing a model that takes into account the value of division of labor.

I also want to thank you for bringing this to me. My understanding of what we are doing and how it fits into the human adventure needs challenges like yours to grow and be healthy.

John

P.S. The current state of affairs here in the US where everyone is encouraged to get into college is itself a recent, and hopefully temporary, anomaly, much like the current fetishistic popularity of the advanced spiritual teachings.

Hi John, Just a quick note. I confess that I find your answer here confusing, especially the analogy, seeing as many of us in the forum have previously been involved in spiritual seeking, as well as what my understanding has been of what you have previously said on this account. What I understood is that while there have been spiritual teachers who have achieved this realization, they were not very effective at showing others how to do so, and that what you had discovered was a simple method that worked and that was not just another description of this state. So, I don't exactly understand what you are trying to express here. Best wishes, Marlowe

Here's what I want to accomplish with this new approach:

1. Remove all appearance of contention from my lack of interest in spiritual teachings;
  2. More clearly explain my actual sense of the worth of those teachings, and my understanding of their true audience;
  3. Ease the felt need in many to seek after spiritual understandings and states as the solution to what is a merely psychological problem;
  4. Perhaps even make an opening for some dialog with the spiritual teachers.

I've come to see that ineffectiveness of the teacher in communication with the student might be as much due to the student's inability to hear as it is the teacher's inability to teach. There can be a mutual reinforcement of confusion as a result.

I've also come to see that there may be results specific to a spiritual practice that are genuine and unique to specifically spiritual or religious aspiration. Those who are prepared to endure the demands of that path might well reap rewards that are undreamt of in the normal course of life, and those results might be of benefit to us all.

For myself, the possible return from the agony that can accompany the seeking after the fruit of extreme transcendental practices and understandings is not worth the price of admission. I have some personal experience with both the agony and the ecstasy, and I have found that a healthy relationship with the wonder of life as a human being is all that I ever truly wanted. I believe this is true for almost all of us humans.

But, in either case, extreme seeking after transcendental truth or merely enjoying life, clearing away the symptoms of the fear might almost be a prerequisite to success.

Keep in mind that the current popularization of the most radical ancient teachings has given rise not only to an enormous audience, especially when compared to the origin times of the teachings, but also to an audience mostly unfamiliar with the singleness of purpose that has characterized those who have travelled these paths in their native expression. Think of the torturous path the Buddha trod before arriving at the Bodhi tree, and of the armies of Mara he faced while calling upon the earth itself to bear witness to his right to be there.

The fact that an idea is popular does not mean that it is fully understood by those who seek it.

What I was trying to suggest in that text is that every human being would benefit from curing the disease that ruins life. I also believe that almost all of us will find true, deep satisfaction in the direct experience of life as a human being. But it also may well be that those few who are drawn to the more extreme search for ultimate truth will find themselves also much better prepared and capable in their relationship to that search once free of the disease, to the benefit of all.

I have no sense that I will ever be done learning what I need to understand if I am to serve this work effectively.

- John

Dear John,

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, what you're offering to people is kind of a "blue collar" version of reality, a more straight forward and less spiritually/intellectually defined understanding of what's going on moment to moment. I'm all for that, but I just don't agree with you about the history of this urge that many of us seem to have to find the truth of reality and our own authentic/immediate connection to life as it unfolds in and through each of us.

I'm your age, have been at it for a very long time and have been, and continue to be, influenced by many of the people out there now and those that are no longer alive. The investigation of truth has been growing closer to its full expression over thousands of years. I think that most of the people who are drawn to you have been looking for themselves, and life as it REALLY is, for at least a while, and were probably born with this intuitive urge. You may encounter some who are just beginning their investigation diligently but I'd be surprised if you were the first person that the great majority of your audience ever listened to in this way.

The urge to understand life in its depth isn't something the average Joe is drawn to in my opinion, at least not at this stage of our evolution as a species. Maybe you're right in believing that you're the guy who's setting it out there for the masses, those of us who are just beginning to break open. I'm not sure if it's all that relevant that we know who your audience is because it has value for all of us.

I'm very much on the same page as far as using terms like spiritual, enlightenment, awakening, GOD etc. All of these definitions have lost their meaning and only confuse us. The understanding of, and moment to moment connection to, our own immediate essence has never, ever been lost, only temporarily hidden and the discussions that you, and many others, offer are what reminds us of our common bond. I guess what I'm saying is that there are many people out there who are capable of leading us back to ourselves at this stage of our evolution and they're on board with you, i.e, not caught up in old language or superstitious beliefs.

Please don't get me wrong, I love what you're doing and believe in your sincerity but, at the same time, feel very impacted by many of the other humans out there who are drawn to do this work without all the confusing, worn out jargon. Looking at ourselves has been encouraged by many others but that doesn't discount your expression. It only strengthens the notion that it's possible to travel with less baggage.

We may, in the end, agree to disagree. I look forward to your comments and I always try to remember not to "throw the baby out with the bath water." We have a long way to go but have advanced exponentially and have learned along the way. As to your last comment about our educational system, that too can be developed in ways that make it much more available to everyone and it seems that it will, what with the internet, etc. What we consider to be relevant to us educationally is also open for discussion. For me, it seems that life evolves in a positive/beneficial way and that's its intention. It just may bob and weave along the way.

And, just to be clear, though I think I was, my comments are in no way meant to discredit your understanding. I think that you're hitting the nail on the head more times than not. I'm also very intrigued and encouraged by the way this truth is moving into the world through many diverse voices and with many beautiful styles of expression. I think this makes it so much stronger and relevant since it's actually showing up as life does, with immense variety. Love is the expression of our capability to dance together in the joyful expression/recognition of our shared essence expressed through infinitely and amazingly unique forms. Seeing how much we are the same within all of the diversity is where the rubber hits the road as we continue to evolve. It's the age-old paradox but now it's pointing to our deeper, shared truth through those of us who have the courage and clear understanding grounded in themselves. I give thanks to, and appreciate immensely, all of you!!!!

I'm looking out at a beautiful Whidbey Island morning and loving life. Pam.

John Sherman says..." I have no sense that I will ever be done learning what I need to understand if I am to serve this work effectively. What is this work? How can you show someone that life is not the problem. John suggests... "a simple act of focusing attention that reliably clears away most of the neurotic misery that attends most human life". But it was you, John, just as you are now--after just one look.

To add another voice here - I find John's explanation perfectly clear and understandable. As far as I can tell, his approach is unique, and judging from my own experience (and many others), it works. And I have tried lots of stuff before that did not help, and my family and ancestors too.

However, I do not understand what Pam wrote: "The urge to understand life in its depth isn't something the average Joe is drawn to in my opinion, at least not at this stage of our evolution as a species." I had this urge all the time, now it dropped and I understand life better because I get slowly better at just living it, thanks to John and Carla.

I concur with what Cytex said. I've been at it for years and am the same age as Pam. One thing, I think when we've come through the spiritual rigamarole, it may be hard to hear exactly what John is saying, I know that was true for me. I'm so glad that, beyond the initial looking, I tenaciously followed John's audio files and the forums, here. It helped me to get clearer and clearer from all the stuff that was going on in my head. There's a powerful check-in from LaQuita (I believe is the name) where she lucidly describes the unnecessary furniture becoming absent from her mind. I don't get any sense that John is in any way boasting or ego-tripping when he says this works. i sat with those advaita teachers. God bless them each and every one, and all the other teachers at whose feet I sat for many decades. It was wonderful. And, awful. And I was so ashamed of myself for being me, with all my laziness, distraction and other flaws that prevented me from getting "it" like everyone else obviously was. It was an incredible relief to find John's instruction, and to follow it, not that I understood what it meant or how it would work. I still don't. No, I don't. But I am a different person than I was three years ago. Nothing else that I've done has ever led to this. I don't think the advaita teachers, etc., are hurt or harmed by what John is doing. He is simply stating truth as he sees it. I don't think the other teachers need defending, either. If someone is drawn to "follow" John and "follow" some other teacher, if that works for them, good! It might also be good and useful to let other stuff go for a real while and just tune in to what is happening here, in the forums, in the meetings, and see what comes out of that, if one is so inclined. Namaste and sent in peace and with love, Marlowe

Hi ..

What comes to mind for me as I reflect on the difference between the looking and all that I've experienced before is simply the direct experience of me. My many years with Osho really shook up all my beliefs ...intense therapeutic meditations led to a softening of tensions in the mind and body and I could sit silently aware that there was a peaceful place in me that I could often connect with that helped to break some of the identity with thoughts and very troubling emotional states. I was so grateful for a safe environment to release repressed anger , sadness etc. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone as a treatment.States of quiet calm were mirrored by thousands of meditators and were usually referred to as presence, silence,source,being, etc. etc. and then the rub...this would lead to awakening. I am still friends with many of these people and truthfully this spiritual talk doesn't make any sense to me anymore when the reality is so much more simple. When I speak of the looking I get very little response.. I sense everyone is in their own world and not interested in this simple fact that you can look at yourself and that is enough. I find the constant talk of what it looks like to be 'awakened' etc.disheartening, very misleading and boring. John is in my view the only person ( and I've experienced many) who just came right out and cut through the crap. We are unique and will experience life in our own way and so be it. I'm certainly not interested in changing anyones mind. I continue to put this out there in a simple direct way.

with love and a wink to all,

Maureen

I like a good story, just like most everyone I know. I've heard and read a lot of them. Some of my favorite stories were the Grimm Fairy Tails that I used to read to my children, when they were little. For me, at this point, most of the spiritual teachers are telling good stories. Stories that have been re-told over and over again in different contexts, probably stemming from about the time we as a species started communicating with rudimentary language. We all like to tell a version of our own story, if there's is a willing audience. This is why twelve step groups are so popular and helpful these days: we identify with each other and feel connected, for a while. I fell in love with the study of mythology a while back, and still think it a worthy field of study, considering all the various cultures throughout our history, and the common themes that spring up. I've also fallen in love with creative writing recently. I've come across a stripped down formula for creating good readable stories that seems to work for me. There are five basic elements to every good story: want, obstacle, action, emotion, and showing. I think a lot of the spiritual teachers these days revolve around the want, emotion, and showing (by their obvious authenticity), and perhaps mention the obstacle in roundabout ways, and also prescribe various recipes as actions we can take to alleviate suffering. But the fact remains, for me at least, based on my experience, that no matter how much I love stories and good recipes, they didn't work, they didn't affect a permanent cure for what ailed me.

John's story in itself is a good one: dedicated criminal hell raiser turned pretty chill guy. But where he differs from spiritual teachers, in my little opinion, in this little context that I have created here, is that his story comes with laser like focus on the obstacle (fear of life) and the action (the looking that cures it). The action recommended is simple, to the point, and most of all, EFFECTIVE. Once initiated, an interesting horror story may unfold for a time (as was/is the case for me) but the outcome is inevitable--not a happy ending, though there might be some happiness, but more the beginning of a new story that stems from being deeply satisfied and in love with life; where the conversations we have become the best teachers.

Seems to me that John is here to initiate conversations, and that he learns and grows from them, as we all do, and changes the telling of his story along the way to accommodate new information that might help to affect a direct cure for what I see as the main problem we all have in common. I like this fresh and pointed approach. I still do like to be inspired by spiritual teachings sometimes, but I also know that I was to the point of being inspired to death. John's suggestion has allowed me to become more interested in education that comes from the inside out, as opposed to trying to paint the spiritual teachings on my reflection in the mirror. So I agree that he is not a spiritual teacher. I am however, interested in how a dialogue might be opened up with those who attract large followings. but that's a whole other story...smily

This website is operated by
a husband and wife team through
the Just One Look Foundation