JUST ONE LOOK
the purpose of our work is to rid humanity of the fear of life, one person at a time
Just One Look Method Testimonials Getting Help Blog & Podcast Articles Forum Donate Newsletter Books Videos International
Download the free PDF ebook: The Just One Look Method  (314 Kb)
Die Nur-ein-Blick-Methode (439 Kb)
Il Metodo Just One Look (333 Kb)
МЕТОД «ТОЛЬКО ОДИН ВЗГЛЯД» (699 Kb)

Just One Look Forum Archives

Using the Just One Look Method

<<< Back to forum index page

My story

Hi all, I'm so happy that my friend Lex (Ljazztrm) told me about John's book. I've been a seeker since childhood, and read many spiritual and esoteric books as I was growing up. When I was 30, I found Christian Science and stuck with it for over 40 years, although I struggled with it a lot. I have a chronic, incurable (according to the medical faculty) disease which started around 20 years ago. I never found healing for it in Christian Science, and for the past 3 years or so I've been housebound (lots of time for the Just One Look work, as John said about being in prison...well, I guess you could say I'm in a prison of sorts, too!).

A couple of years ago I moved away from Christian Science and studied a wide array of spiritual teachings and mind/body books, but didn't find healing or peace of mind. I reached a point where I didn't want to hear anything about spirituality, but then went back to Christian Science for awhile, still struggling along and suffering. I live alone, and due to various circumstances, I have very little contact with anyone, except through Facebook, so I have had to take care of myself through all of this, and it has been very tough sometimes.

Anyway, while I was doing my best to try to understand Christian Science again, Lex told me about John and Carla. This was less than a week ago, and I can't believe the profound effect it has had on me already. I was only a few chapters into the book when I completely dropped all my spiritual studies"”I simply had no desire to do them. I could see that what John was writing about was true"”it all made such perfect sense to me.

I started out by taking a look at ME"¦I felt the truth of it immediately. There was no struggle, no questioning, nothing. Then I started the attention exercise, which I found profoundly calming. I loved the simplicity of this teaching, and felt "at home" with it. Then two things happened: First of all, I found myself unable to do much more looking. I think there was a little misunderstanding on my part, because I thought I should be doing it constantly. Later I read that it wasn't necessary, and that I should do it only when I felt inclined to. Then the next thing, which I know won't surprise anyone, was that I started to feel really terrible! All my physical symptoms got much worse, and I was a mess! But knowing what I know about resistance (this is something I'd learned in Christian Science), and also from what John had said about recovery and rehabilitation, I soon realized what was going on. It was pretty hairy for a couple of days, and I was overcome with fear, but now when fear pops up I focus on my breath and it passes. It seems to me that this reaction/revolt/resistance happened to me pretty quickly"¦I mean, I've been doing this for less than a week! So now I'm focusing on the attention exercise and looking when it crosses my mind to do so. These things are helping me with my biggest challenge, which is the tendency to react with fear to symptoms, especially when they seem to change or get worse.

This is a tome I've written here, but I don't know how to make it any shorter! This teaching has turned me right-side-up and has changed everything for me. I'd love to hear any comments, suggestions, etc. Thanks, John and Carla! You are the best! smily

Welcome to the forum (again). Wonderful story, thanks for relating it. It may be helpful, given your circumstances, to contact John directly. He has done this in the past and may still be open to this.

Thanks for the welcome, Jackx! Not sure what you mean by "he has done this in the past"...done what? smily

Talk with you directly via skype, phone, email.

Ah, OK Jackx, thanks.

This website is operated by
a husband and wife team through
the Just One Look Foundation